Monday 20 April 2020

My Journey so far...HBSS

 It's been a long time since I've not posted.
A lot has happened in the past years, a wedding , marriage happened, then pregnancy and health related issues.

Apparently, I'm a known HBSS patient, was diagnosed at birth, since then my family has always been the ones to bear the burnt of my hospital episodes. 

Sickle cell disease  is an inherited blood disorder caused by defective hemoglobin, Sickle cell disease involves the red blood cells, their ability to carry oxygen to the tissues of the body. The inability to carry oxygen around the tissues in the body cause a thrombotic pain in the joints of the patient. 

Sickle cell disease comes with different health related complications. Complications like ulcers ; leg, stomach ulcers etc. Arthritis ;rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis , etc, Acute chest syndrome, kidney disease and different types of health related complications. 

Guess what? Your guess is as good as mine, was diagnosed with osteoarthritis while I was 18weeks gone "pregnant", I was advised by my doctors  to start using a walking aid for mobility and to easy my pains. Not too long, as the pregnancy progressed, I was told to stop moving around so as to reduce the pressure and weight I bear on the hip bone.

In between, I had minor and major crisis episodes, was transfuse and I spent days, weeks in the hospital. Many thanks to my doctors who did their best to keep me and my baby alive.

I had my daughter January 21st, 2019 via CS. Then I had to heal for like 3 months but then, I couldn't even stand on my own anymore, I had to balance with crutches this time, visited the orthopedic doctors for appointments, before then deep within my heart I was hoping I wouldn't have to go through a major surgery like the hip replacement, I was hoping I would be on stage 2, and the doctors will give me the option of " core-decompression", alas, I was wrong.

Final verdict, I needed an urgent surgery not just one hip, but both hips. Wow! I was scared, I had to toughen up, I had to make up my mind so that I can be with my daughter, husband, family and friends . It was a tough one.


I had the 1st hip replacement done May 18th, 2019, I had to heal for 4 months, to go for the next surgery, had the 2nd surgery October 6th, which I sustained a nerve injury, then had a dislocation, it was a tough on for me, but I made up my mind to get back on my feet, I'm still healing from the nerve injury I got during the 2nd surgery, was told it takes between 6months - 1yrs for it to heal depending on how fast one's body can heal.

I'm still healing, there's a bit of numbness, tingling and pains while having my daily routine.


I  want to thank my family, cousins, uncles, aunties and friends that stood by my side during the trying times.


3 comments:

  1. Its been an enormous beautiful Journey, with life, indeed there is much hope.. God is ur strength great warrior.

    ReplyDelete